From a sweet raspberry sauce to a yummy chocolate buttercream frosting or whipped cream, a dessert is made even sweeter when topped with a scrumptious topping! But what about if you are a diabetic? What are safe dessert topping options that won’t cause your blood sugar levels to spike? We’ve picked out three guilt-free sugar-free dessert toppings for you to try at home (safe for diabetics!). Read on to discover the recipes so that you can re-create. View our recipes here.
Table of Contents
Can sugar-free also be tasty?
We want to help inspire you to get creative in the kitchen. So we’ve put together some tasty and sugar-free dessert topping recipes for you that won’t lead to a blood sugar spike.
We have so many tasty and easy sugar-free and diabetic-friendly recipes on our website, just waiting for you to add one of these sugar-free dessert toppings. It was a difficult choice narrowing down just 3 for you today. However, these are guaranteed to deliver lashings of lushness and flavour, even though theyre all sugar-free! So to answer our original question, absolutely sugar-free can be tasty!
Sugar-Free Dessert Topping - Raspberry Sauce
Using a plant-based natural jels, this sugar-free Raspberry Sauce is incredibly easy to make, needing just four ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice.
- ½ teaspoon Simply Delish unflavored jel dessert
- 1 lb (453 g) raspberries (fresh or frozen), halved
- ⅓ cup (67 g) sugar or your equivalent natural sweetener replacement – for Stevia, 2 tsp is equivalent to ⅓ cup sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, combine chopped raspberries and low-carb sweetener, then add lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for around 10 minutes until the raspberries begin to break down.
- Add the raspberry mixture to a food processor and sprinkle the Simply Delish unflavored jel dessert on top.
- Process until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to jars and place in the refrigerator or freezer. The jars will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or a couple of months in the freezer.
What fruits are good to include on a low-carb diet?
Raspberries are one of the best fruits to enjoy on a low-carb or keto diet, but you can mix and match other low-carb fruits too.
Strawberries, blackberries, cranberries, and blueberries all have lower carbs and sugar than other fruits and can be eaten in moderation without being kicked out of ketosis – yay! Let’s face it. Who doesn’t love to get a bit fruity!
Are frozen rather than fresh berries a good option for desserts?
We actually prefer to use frozen berries when we can, especially for cooked dishes, because frozen berries are healthier than fresh. After all, they’re flash-frozen straight from the field and don’t require sometimes excessive chemical preservative sprays to ensure they stay looking fresh. If you decide to use frozen berries for this recipe, you’ll need to simmer them a bit longer, so they thaw in the pan.
Sugar-Free Dessert Topping - Butterscotch
When you’ve made a delicious chocolate cake and need a sugar-free dessert topping to top it off, try this Chocolate pudding buttercream frosting. If you want to switch it up, you can make this with any flavor of our Simply Delish instant pudding mix!
Pudding Frosting is easy to make, and, with this recipe, you don’t need any whipped cream to create the perfect smooth and velvety – yet durable and shape-holding – texture. You’ll also be able to enjoy this tasty treat topping guilt-free, as it uses less powdered sugar than typical buttercream so that you can add flavor (not just pure sugar) to your frosting.
How can you make a sugar-free chocolate frosting?
To create a totally sugar-free chocolate frosting, we switched out the powdered sugar entirely and opted for Stevia as our preferred sweetener. By combining 1/2 of Stevia with 1/2 tsp of corn starch in a blender, you, too, can enjoy a delicious baking sweetener perfect for sugar-free diets.
INGREDIENTS (yields 1 cup of frosting in around 10 minutes)
- One box (4 servings) Simply Delish Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- ¼ cup cold milk, plus extra for thinning (any dairy or non-dairy milk will work in this recipe)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (or a non-dairy alternative)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (or your preferred keto-friendly substitute)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract.
- Whisk the pudding mix and milk together in a bowl, then set aside for later.
- Use an electric mixer or wooden spoon to cream the butter until smooth, then add the prepared pudding mix and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Beat the butter, pudding, and vanilla, then add the powdered sugar (or your chosen sweetener) and mix until everything is fully combined.
- Add the extra milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- For best results, use your frosting immediately, or keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How to make a guilt-free whipped cream?
With this recipe, you no longer have to worry about your whipped cream wilting while waiting for your guests to arrive – you can make this version ahead of time, up to a day ahead in fact. A perfect Sugar-Free Dessert Topping!
Just add a little Simply Delish instant vanilla pudding to your whipped cream, and it will still be perky whenever you need it.
Just one tablespoon of Simply Delish instant vanilla pudding per cup of heavy cream is all you need for this delicious, long-lasting whipped cream!
INGREDIENTS – makes 2 cups
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream.
- 1 tablespoon Simply Delish instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar (or to taste) (or use your favorite Keto-friendly substitute)
- Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed until everything is fully combined.
- Once combined, turn your mixer to high speed and mix until soft peaks form. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Use immediately or store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
We hope those dessert topping ideas have inspired you to get creative in the kitchen. If so, why not come find something delicious for yourself at our dessert shop. Let’s turn dessert times into guilt-free times all the family can enjoy together. That’s the Simply Delish way!